The pathology or clinical laboratory provides diagnostic facilities for specimens of blood, urine stool, body fluids, infected materials and biopsies, or organs removed at operation. It is under the direction of a medically qualified pathologists who are responsible for technical services in the divisions of Medical Microbiology, Immunology, Hematology and Blood Banking, Clinical Chemistry, Cytology and Histopathology.
State of art modern auto-analyzers ensure a rapid response to routine measurements in clinical chemistry, serology and microbiology, where automated microbial identification, very rapid antibiotic sensitivities and monitoring of blood cultures are available.
The histological service reports specimens received in fixative, are usually reported within 72 hours (depending upon the complexity of tissue).
A cytological service for cervical (Papanicolaou) smears and for fine needle aspirates (by arrangement) is available.
For tests infrequently requested, or of unusual complexity, links are maintained with internationally accredited reference laboratories.
A service for cytogenetic specimens is now well-established with a specialist internationally accredited laboratory, where blood karyotypes, amniotic fluid and chorionic villus samples are processed.
Among other activities, the laboratory runs routine microbiology testing for potable waters and considers proposals for non-medical testing of food-stuffs and items of public health interest.
All disciplines within the laboratory are subject to quality control from the College of American Pathologists (CAP) External Quality Program.
AZH’s Pathology Department offers the following range of services:
- Cytological service for cervical smears and for fine needle aspirates
- Clinical Microscopy
- General Clinical Chemistry
- Hormones and Special Proteins
- Serology and Immunology
- Blood Banking
The Department of Radiology and Imaging at Al Zahra is a compact, well equipped department, providing state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging services to the entire region.
Staffed by a team of highly trained and dedicated radiologists and technicians, the department prides itself on the excellent quality of its work, rapid and accurate diagnosis and, at the same time, ensuring maximum comfort to all patients.
The department boasts of a state-of-the-art MRI, Spiral CT Scan, Ultrasound, Mammography, DXA Bone Densitometry and general radiography equipment, all of which are regularly upgraded and updated to keep in pace with the best that is available for diagnostic imaging anywhere in the world. The standard of imaging and investigations are acceptable in all major centers.
While every effort is made to accommodate walk-in patients, it is advisable to obtain appointments for more sophisticated examinations as in some cases prior subject preparation may be required.
Leaflets containing detailed instructions are available at the Reception counters and information can also be obtained on regular hospital numbers and fax. Reports are generated as quickly as feasible and the radiologists are always available for discussion with the patients and medical colleagues on specific examinations.
AZH’s Radiology Department offers the following range of services:
1) CT Scanner
Latest Siemens Somatom Force Dual Source Dual Energy 384 Slice CT scanner
- Kidney - friendly scanning (require only low amount of contrast media)
- Low dose early detection
- Free - breathing CT imaging
- 4D Imaging at half the dose.
- Precise Dual Energy quantification allow for more precise differentiation of tissue types in oncology, cardiovascular and acute care cases.
- Early detection of lung cancer through low dose lung CT.
- Table capacity of 267 kg makes scan for obese patients possible.
- Heart scanning without betablockers
- Gout Imaging
2) MRI Scanner
PHILIPS Achieva 3 Tesla MRI Scanner which is the highest magnetic field strength available in the clinical field.
- Enable the detection of lesions of few millimeters in size.
- Advanced applications such as MR Angiograms, MRCP etc.
3) X-ray digital imaging (anytime)
- We have the latest PHLIPS high end state-of-the-art Ultrasound system with the capability of 3D / 4D imaging
- Other 4 Ultrasound systems are also available including one portable machine